The pioneers of the Adventist Church in the Gold Coast believed in the prophetic words concerning the role of publishing in winning souls for the Lord.
In 1938 therefore F.L. Stokes started the church publishing work in the Gold Coast at Koforidua. Its location was changed to Bekwai in the Ashanti Region and later moved by the foreign administration to Nigeria.
In 1953, the West African Union Missions which then included the present West African Mission, most of what is now Sahel Union Mission and the Nigerian Union Mission, decided to relocate the Advent Press in Accra, Ghana under the able leadership of Elder H. S. Pearce. A permanent site was acquired at Labadi and its new building was formally opened on January 3, 1954 by Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, the then Prime Minister of the Gold Coast who later became the First President of the republic of Ghana.
From the early 1970s, The Advent Press, also known as the Seventh-day Adventist Publishing House of West Africa changed from letter-press to litho machines. From 1980, much expansion work was carried out. By 1985, the press became the best equipped printing facility in the whole of the country. Today The Advent Press has a large factory and offices.
Every year the Advent Press sets aside a budget for evangelism. Tracts, magazines and in some cases books are donated for public evangelistic campaigns. Printing of posters and handouts for evangelism are either printed free or are heavily subsidized.